Sign-up to receive our free newsletter.
By: MUHAMMAD LILA
Posted: Oct. 31st,2012
The U.S. has turned down an offer of post-Hurricane Sandy assistance from one of the world’s most wanted men, a Pakistani terror leader with a $10 million U.S. bounty on his head.
Hafiz Saeed, an Islamist militant who is alleged to have masterminded the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks that left more than 160 people dead, issued a written statement Wednesday saying his organization was willing to send supplies and volunteers to help the U.S. East Coast recover.
“We are ready to send food items, medicines and doctors to the U.S. for the people affected by the storm,” said Saeed. “America [may] fix bounties on our heads but as followers of the teachings of the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him), we feel it is our Islamic duty to help Americans trapped in a catastrophe.” Saeed noted that the charity he heads had provided aid in Sri Lanka and Indonesia after the 2004 tsunami.
Saeed is the founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, a terror group banned by the Pakistani government, and still heads its charity wing, Jamaat ud Dawa. Earlier this year the U.S. State Department offered a $10 million reward for information leading to his capture or arrest.
After Saeed’s offer of assistance, the U.S. Embassy in Pakistan declined his help via Twitter. “We respect the Islamic tradition of help to the needy,” said the tweet, “but we can’t take Hafiz Saeed’s offer seriously.”
Saeed founded Lashkar-e-Taiba more than 25 years ago and has mounted many attacks against India as part of a campaign to wrest the Kashmir region from Indian control. Saeed is accused of masterminding the Nov. 26, 2008 terror attacks on the city of Mumbai. Ten gunmen took part in the multi-day assault, which cost the lives of at least 166 people, including six Americans. The lone surviving attacker, who faces a death penalty, has accused Saeed of hatching the plot.
Read More: GMA.Yahoo.com