Sign-up to receive our free newsletter.
Written by: Dr. Richard Swier
Posted: Nov.22nd, 2012
The following was received by WDW from the Israeli Consul General in Miami:
Main Message: Operation “Pillar of Defense” has improved the security of the State of Israel and the safety of its citizens. It has demonstrated the determination of Israel to defend its civilians against terrorist attack, while doing its utmost to avoid harm to the civilians of Gaza behind whom the terrorists were hiding.
1. Quiet will be answered with quite. If the quite is violated, Israel will respond with appropriate force. The understanding achieved is that the fire will be ceased as of 2100 (2PM EDT) and after 24 hours of calm, issues of concern to the parties can be discussed (though not directly).
2. The military operation was carried out according to plan and achieved many significant objectives: senior terrorist commanders were killed and most of the missiles aimed at the center of the country were disabled, as well as thousands of shorter range rockets.
3. The international community has expressed full support for Israel’s right to defend itself. Israel was able to put together an international coalition against Hamas, much like the international coalition formed against Iran.
4. Israel thanks the US for its support of the operation and the Iron Dome system, as well as its willingness to help prevent future arms smuggling into Gaza.
5. Israel also welcomes the contribution of Egypt to stopping rocket attacks against its civilians
6. Iron Dome has proven to be a strategic asset – it says lives strengthens the home front and reduces the enemy’s motivation to attack.
7. Israeli citizens demonstrated remarkable resilience.
8. As seen in the past, it may take time for the cease-fire to take hold.
9. The operation has provided leverage in the struggle against Iran, which has armed, financed and trained the terrorist organizations in Gaza.
10. Intelligence has shown that Hamas was surprised by the intensity of the reaction, and has regretted precipitating an Israeli reaction. It has lost the head of its military wing, its long-range missiles and much of its arsenal
11. Israel has re-established deterrence, and demonstrated to a turbulent region that it will not shy away from take action against threats to its citizens.
Consulate General of Israel to Florida & Puerto Rico