Nov 27, 2014
Tea Party Tribune
Tea Party Tribune
Tea Party and Political News Reporting

Goodbye GOP

By Mr. Curmudgeon:

Two developments in the Republican Party point to its future: South Carolina’s Jim DeMint announced his retirement from the United States Senate to serve as president of the conservative Heritage Foundation, and the Reuters News Service reports that GOP House Speaker John Boehner is purging conservative Tea Party members from key committees “as he seeks to tighten control over his unruly caucus ahead of difficult votes on ‘fiscal cliff’ issues.”

The consolidation of America’s one-party state begins.

You see, it matters not how conservative a Republican you send to Congress if his vote (and yours indirectly) is negated by the gelding brothers John Boehner (House) and Mitch McConnell (Senate).

“I’ve decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas,” said Sen. DeMint in a statement announcing his departure from the Senate. DeMint told the Wall Street Journal’s Dan Henninger, “This is an urgent time, because we saw in the last election we [Republicans] were not able to communicate conservative ideas that win elections.”

In short, DeMint had an epiphany:  His party’s leadership is unable to “communicate conservative ideas” because they and the party they lead are not conservative. And believing they are requires a tortured redefinition of the term “conservative.”

I have been a registered Republican my entire adult life. But the neutering of the GOP by its establishment mafia has left me no choice: At the earliest opportunity, I’ll part company with the Party of Lincoln and register as an Independent.

I can’t support a party that has become nothing more than the women’s auxiliary of the Democratic Party.

mrcurmudgeon

Originally, from Los Angeles, I eventually made my way around the country: Arizona, the Bay Area and now South Florida.
Show full bio

6 Comments

1. Bill Colley

December 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I'm running off and Joining the Virgil Goode Brigade!

2. ginjit.dw

December 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm

The gelding brothers. That is great. It took the town crier, boehner, about one tenth of a second to drop his pants on Nov 7. I was surprised it took so long.

3. Howard

December 6, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Boehner and Cantor raised the white flag before the votes were counted on Nov 6. I'm embarrassed to be part of the GOP.

4. John Fedor

December 6, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I am leaving the Republicans too. The only problem I can see is not being able to run a candidate in a primary. Unless we start a third party or every one of us joins the Conservative Party. I made my mind up to leave when our State Committee man decided to toss out the conservative delegates WE elected in our county. Just trying to work with the "Quislings" in the party would be impossible. I am making a clean,fast break and not looking back.

5. JJJessee

December 7, 2012 at 6:06 am

It's becoming a one-party state by default. -not because clever, sinister liberals, are twisting and folding the constitution into a self-serving party favor as so many claim. It's because the Tea Peaty has such bad aim. Every time the Tea Party pulls a trigger, a Republican gets shot in the foot. Rick Santorum nailed it on the head, "Smart people are never going to be on our side" No duh. ;) A policy example, for instance, conservatives have told people "we are going to unleash corporations from needless regulations", but they haven't told us how they are going to prevent corporations from returning to the conceit of dumping toxic waste into creeks and rivers. Plus, neither the Republican, nor the Tea Party , are going to get very far with subliminal slogans like "We are the party of legitimate rape" but that apparently is what it is boiling down too.

• MikefromGlenRidgeNJ

December 8, 2012 at 4:21 am

You have no concept of what the tea party is? The tea Party is the rejection of big centralized government, which the current GOP establishment has little problem with and is even aiding and abetting, while pretending they represent those of us who are appalled by this encroachment on individualism, constitutionalism and personal liberty.